Before its merger with Furman University in 1938, the Greenville Woman’s College had its own distinct culture and traditions. This gold pin was a token of membership in the Judson Literary Society. Its inscription, “Polished After the Similitude of a Palace,” is a reference to Psalm 144.
Judson Literary Society was founded in 1878 by Mary Camilla Judson. However, the society was actually named for her brother, Furman University professor Charles Judson. Though speaking publicly was a highly controversial activity for women in the late 19th century, members of the Judson Literary Society wrote essays, engaged in debates on current issues, and published a newspaper called the College Mirror. In later years, the society took on some of the functions of a social club as well.